seperate cell and gps antenna input

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
photonblaster2

seperate cell and gps antenna input

Post by photonblaster2 »

Are there any cell phones that will work with AccuTracking that have seperate gps and cell phone antenna connections, (even hidden like i415)?:?: I haven't been able to identify any.

The reason I ask is that it is clear (to me) from reading these forums and from my own side be side testing of i415 cell phone and VehiclePath dedicated GPS tracking unit is that the cell phone suffers from reduced signal levels while inside the vehicle, which, when the emidiate environment around the vehicle is "worst case", ends up in no or inncacurate postion info. The vehicle path solution is in generat 5X more accurate than the i415 solution, but the user interface sucks. So I am hoping I can get an amplified gps antenna similar to the one VP has that can be hidden behind the door pillar trim and apparently gives great signal levels, and get better AT tracking.

But to do this I either need a combo single connector antenna, or separate inputs for GPS and cell frequencies. THe latter would be less expensive.

If someone knows a link to a combo, single connector solution that would be great too. :?:

i415

Post by guest »

if I was you, I would try another phone. The i415 with accutracking works awesome for the cost!
photonblaster2

glad yours works well, but....

Post by photonblaster2 »

Great to hear yours works well. From extensive reading of this forum, it appears there are those who can get it (and other phones) to work well inside a car, and those that have significant issues. I am in the latter category, with long sync times even if outside the car, doesn't work inside the car unless it is first held vertical near the windshield, will not work if put sideways under the hood or on the dash or in the glove box. And it even reports me moving when it is parked at home!.
Hope yours continues to work well!
photonblaster2

ps

Post by photonblaster2 »

ps, I have the i415

i415

Post by guest »

I know you have a i415, my point was to try another one! because mine works awesome in the glove box.
Maybe Nextel is weak in your area!!
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

none of the phones have seperate gps antenna connections.

however, since it relys on assisted gps, you might actually try to amplify the (cellular) signal to the phone with an external antenna or amplifier, and it might solve your problems.

my car unit is a i560 in a cradle on the center console, which of course puts the gps hardware facing down into the floor rather then towards the sky.

no signal problems whatsoever.

it replaced a i605 with a big rubber duck antenna that was clipped to the dash with a better view of the sky, and surprisingly, works just as well.

check your signal strength and see how high or low it is.
that may solve your problem there.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.

Re: i415

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:I know you have a i415, my point was to try another one! because mine works awesome in the glove box.
Maybe Nextel is weak in your area!!
Sorry didn't fuly understand your comment. I have tentatively concluded the same thing, but.... My phone is a starter kit phone, and I am actually trying to do everything I can to make sure I am not messing things up (and learn as much as I can) before I give customer service a call at AT and "beg" for different phone! :D