Nextel Gateway?

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
MikeyJ

Nextel Gateway?

Post by MikeyJ »

Hi All,

I'm new to Accutracking and it looks very interesting. Here's my scenario:

We use a dispatching app here at the office that has the ability to grab Long and Lat data and insert it into a table and toss it up on a MapPoint map but the developer says that Nextel doesn't make a gateway available to access this info? Is this accurate? If so, is there an alternative you can think of? I wouldn't mind using Accutracking if that's what it takes if it fits our bill....

Thx,
Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

It depends on the phone model. The phones listed on our website all has GPS APIs. I am not sure what "Nextel Gateway" you are referring but the GPS data can be read out directly from the phone.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

I think the developer of our app is looking to get the gps data via a Nextel server and not directly from the phone. Can I assume that the data directly from the phone is going to be the exact same? Is that how Accutracking works?

On a different subject, does Accutracking allow for showing multiple phone locations on the screen at once? In our usage, we need to see a "snapshot" of where all our drivers are at once in order to dispatch the next order efficiently...

Thx!
Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

MikeyJ wrote:I think the developer of our app is looking to get the gps data via a Nextel server and not directly from the phone. Can I assume that the data directly from the phone is going to be the exact same? Is that how Accutracking works?
Yes.
On a different subject, does Accutracking allow for showing multiple phone locations on the screen at once? In our usage, we need to see a "snapshot" of where all our drivers are at once in order to dispatch the next order efficiently...

Thx!
Mike
Yes.
AccuTracking Support
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Thx! One more question:

Does Accutracking allow for putting other notations on the map display that shows the gps locations? Such as being able to place all our vendors on the map so we can see at a glance how close drivers are to certain vendors?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

For now only your phone client name and time show on the map. Please see the screenshot on the frontpage.
AccuTracking Support
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Are there any plans to allow this in the near future? It would be a HUGE feature for our dispatchers to be able to visualize distances between vendors and drivers. Unfortunately, it could also be the difference between us being able to use Accutracking or not which bums me out because I love working with the "little guy". I do some developing as well so I appreciate what you guys do!

Maybe just a screen for entering a vendor(s) name and address and then creating those points on the map merged with the GPS points???

Pretty pleeze? :lol:

Thx for all your help,
Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

I think this is not there because of the limitation of our mapping capability. For example, our server cannot do geocoding, which translating lat/long to/from address. Sorry.
AccuTracking Support
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Hmmm...

So what if I could input the locations of my vendors as Long/Lat???

There seems to be plenty of places for me to "pre" Geocode the addresses...

http://geocoder.us/ (They also have source available!)
http://www.ajmsoft.com/ac/geomain.php

Keeping my fingers crossed,
Mike

:lol:
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Still there? :D

Thx,
Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Given the lat/long input we could provide some "anchors" on the overview map. This feature might not be implemented any time soon though. Sorry.
AccuTracking Support
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

It's great to hear that it's possible and at the same time, disappointing to hear that it might not happen anytime soon. :cry:

I would guess that I'm not the only person who would find this feature very useful. I could actually begin using Accutracking immediately if it was in place, but until then, I'll have to hold off or find another solution.

All this being said, I definitely appreciate your attention to this thread and your honesty about the feasibility of my request!

Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

If you have MapPoint, the good news is that we are planning to integrate into MapPoint, which could meet your needs. Check back often for the updates.
AccuTracking Support
MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

Just picked it up yesterday! That's great news....thx!

Mike