Breaking News: PTEL Going Out of Business

News release and discussion.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Breaking News: PTEL Going Out of Business

Post by ATSupport »

We just learned today that PTEL is apparently CLOSING (after 15 years of service). The service shutdown date is 1/26/2016 or 1/31/2016 as stated by their representatives.
Regretfully, there's no news about this until this morning, making it hard for us to inform you and to prepare for it with adequate time.

We apologize for the short notice but if you are using a PTEL SIM card for your tracker, this means your PTEL SIM will shut down soon and tracking would stop.

- TK372/TK373 trackers are NOT affected by this. NO action is required.
- TK306A trackers with PTEL SIM cards are affected by this. Action IS required.

We came up with a list of alternatives for you in this short period of time:

1. The quick & easy way is switching to a H2O Wireless SIM card. You can get one for $0.01 on Amazon or
get it in your local BestBuy store for $2.99.

H2O's pay-as-you-go plan costs $10 for 90 days of service (so about $3.33/month.
After getting the H2O SIM card, activate it at https://www.h2owirelessnow.com and insert it into the tracker.
The tracker then needs to be reconfigured for the new SIM (power on the tracker, then use cell phone to text "apn123456 att.mvno" to
the phone number tied to the new SIM. Or we can help configure it).

It's a "temporary" solution because H2O wireless uses AT&T network, and AT&T is shutting down their 2G network by end of 2016 (2G sunset):
http://www.business.att.com/content/oth ... 014_A1.pdf
The good thing is that it's the lowest monthly cost SIM you can find so why not take advantage of this till end of 2016 before switching to another SIM.

2. Switch to a "US Mobile" SIM card. US Mobile uses T-Mobile network so there's no 2G sunset issue.
You can get one from US Mobile website for $3.99.
US Mobile pay-as-you-go plan costs $6/month ($2 text + $2 data + $2 service charge).

After getting the US Mobile SIM card, activate it at US Mobile and insert it into the tracker.
The tracker then needs to be reconfigured for the new SIM (power on the tracker, then use cell phone to text "apn123456 pwg" to
the phone number tied to the new SIM. Or we can help configure it).

3. Switch to our "Managed SIM tracker" TK372/TK373. They have our own SIM card and we manage it for you so it's not affected by PTEL.
The monthly fee includes the SIM card data usage, and is a few bucks more than the un-managed trackers (https://secure.accutracking.com/pricing.php)
For more info please see here.
Direct link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016FH80EE

4. Most GSM SIM card would work with TK306A so if you have another SIM card you can use it too.
However, lots of prepaid plans costs much more than the options above so check the plans before getting another SIM.

We sincerely apologize for the issue and we are trying our best provide support to your transition in such an unexpected scenario.
Please contact us for assistance and questions and really appreciate your understanding!
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: Breaking News: PTEL Going Out of Business

Post by ATSupport »

AccuTracking Support
deastlund

Post by deastlund »

If I switch to the Managed Tracker is there a process to ensure any remaining amount paid on this PTEL version is credited toward the new managed service?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Yes. When you activate the new TK37x managed tracker online, just click "I already have an AccuTracking account" and the new tracker will be added to your current account.
After activation, just go to "Manage Units" of your account and delete the old tracker, the credit you already paid will be automatically transferred to the new tracker.
deastlund wrote:If I switch to the Managed Tracker is there a process to ensure any remaining amount paid on this PTEL version is credited toward the new managed service?
AccuTracking Support
PHickman

Post by PHickman »

Just yesterday, I paid $100 for the full year of service through the accutracking website. What do I need to do to not lose that money? I just bought this tracker from Amazon not even 2 months ago, so I do not want to spend more money on this thing.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Don't worry, you won't lose the payment you made to us (AccuTracking). It's still in your account. Just get a H2O SIM card from Amazon for $0.01 and free shipping (use the link in above post), activate it and recharge $10, you should be good to go.
PHickman wrote:Just yesterday, I paid $100 for the full year of service through the accutracking website. What do I need to do to not lose that money? I just bought this tracker from Amazon not even 2 months ago, so I do not want to spend more money on this thing.
AccuTracking Support
Mbmaring

Re how much data do these trackers use per month

Post by Mbmaring »

Looking at new data plans and wondering how much data these trackers use per month?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: Re how much data do these trackers use per month

Post by ATSupport »

For updates every minute and a few hours driving per day, it's around 10MB a month.
Mbmaring wrote:Looking at new data plans and wondering how much data these trackers use per month?
AccuTracking Support
ANONAMYOUS

Post by ANONAMYOUS »

if the 306A is ineffective with the SIM sent (less than 2 months ago !!) and of which I paid for, then why would I want to bear the burden of BUYING ANOTHER UNIT ..? This is completely unfair and breaks the contract of 'good faith' that most businesses are required to abide by in american law standards . Putting in another SIM under the H20 network is obviously a temporary fix, since it is stated that (that) company will also go insolvent within the next fiscal year .. this is highly unusual and the customer is not getting the product which accutracking promised to deliver.
I also do not wish to switch to Tmobile as the reception is less than lacking in my area.
The only option is for you to provide a TK 373/372 and I will return my 306A unit to you .. as long as the monthly service is comparable to the charges currently provided by ptel.

Otherwise I will dispute my initial purchase (and I WILL win) and take my refunded monies and buy another unit from a different service provider that doesnt hav these issues.

Pls advise. Thx.

ps.. I am sure you can see who posted this .. feel free to email me at my account email provided for a furthered discretionary discussion.

Post by Guest »

But that is a temporary solution, as you pointed out, so that will just leave me to deal with this issue yet again. Also, paying more money is not acceptable. I have contacted Amazon and will deal with this through their customer service, which has an actual phone number you can call.
ATSupport wrote:Don't worry, you won't lose the payment you made to us (AccuTracking). It's still in your account. Just get a H2O SIM card from Amazon for $0.01 and free shipping (use the link in above post. There's another 4G type of H2O SIM which does NOT work with your tracker), activate it and recharge $10, you should be good to go.
PHickman wrote:Just yesterday, I paid $100 for the full year of service through the accutracking website. What do I need to do to not lose that money? I just bought this tracker from Amazon not even 2 months ago, so I do not want to spend more money on this thing.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

No we cannot see who post this because it's a guest post. Please contact our support directly. We completely understand the frustration and are willing to work with you and help you. Apologies and please trust us to resolve this with you.
ANONAMYOUS wrote:if the 306A is ineffective with the SIM sent (less than 2 months ago !!) and of which I paid for, then why would I want to bear the burden of BUYING ANOTHER UNIT ..? This is completely unfair and breaks the contract of 'good faith' that most businesses are required to abide by in american law standards . Putting in another SIM under the H20 network is obviously a temporary fix, since it is stated that (that) company will also go insolvent within the next fiscal year .. this is highly unusual and the customer is not getting the product which accutracking promised to deliver.
I also do not wish to switch to Tmobile as the reception is less than lacking in my area.
The only option is for you to provide a TK 373/372 and I will return my 306A unit to you .. as long as the monthly service is comparable to the charges currently provided by ptel.

Otherwise I will dispute my initial purchase (and I WILL win) and take my refunded monies and buy another unit from a different service provider that doesnt hav these issues.

Pls advise. Thx.

ps.. I am sure you can see who posted this .. feel free to email me at my account email provided for a furthered discretionary discussion.
AccuTracking Support

Post by Guest »

This is obviously not Accutracking's fault and stop being a crying baby... Seriously, business closing happens and it hurts everybody. Instead of whining "unfair" and "I'll win", how about being a grown up and calm down first. I got my H2O card from Bestbuy yesterday and it's been working flawlessly. Bummer but it's something I'm willing to do to keep the low cost service, even switching to another SIM card in a year.
ANONAMYOUS wrote:if the 306A is ineffective with the SIM sent (less than 2 months ago !!) and of which I paid for, then why would I want to bear the burden of BUYING ANOTHER UNIT ..? This is completely unfair and breaks the contract of 'good faith' that most businesses are required to abide by in american law standards . Putting in another SIM under the H20 network is obviously a temporary fix, since it is stated that (that) company will also go insolvent within the next fiscal year .. this is highly unusual and the customer is not getting the product which accutracking promised to deliver.

Pls advise. Thx.

Post by Guest »

[quote="Guest"]This is obviously not Accutracking's fault and stop being a crying baby... Seriously, business closing happens and it hurts everybody. Instead of whining "unfair" and "I'll win", how about being a grown up and calm down first. I got my H2O card from Bestbuy yesterday and it's been working flawlessly. Bummer but it's something I'm willing to do to keep the low cost service, even switching to another SIM card in a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If thats how you choose to deal with your contractual issues, then thats what you accept. However, do not presume to decide for myself, Thanks.
Lastly, the name-calling and expletives are emotional responses and unecessary.
Good Luck !
jlwil1940

Post by jlwil1940 »

Does this affect my TK104 also?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Yes if it uses PTEL SIM.
jlwil1940 wrote:Does this affect my TK104 also?
AccuTracking Support