Total Connect 1 MB Storage??

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
mrberrie2

Total Connect 1 MB Storage??

Post by mrberrie2 »

This one is close to the question asked regarding Data Usage, but not quite. Help, I talked with the folks at Nextel today and was surprised to find out a few things. Regarding their Total Connect 1 MB. First off, I am NOT a GPS Guru.

(1) I thought that GPS Data was automatically transmitted with cell phones. The Guy at Nextel tells me it is NOT. He also said that every time I used your website accutracting.com to find out where the phone is located was the only time I was transmitting GPS Data.

(2) I thought the 1mb size for Total Connect was the where I store the JAVA applications that I want to download to my cell phone and that I could not exceed 1MB worth of Java Applications Nextel is telling me that no, the 1MB size is the amount of data that I can send out from my cell phone, i.e., GPS Longitude/Latitude information. He stated that anything over 1MB cost me .10 per KB.

I must admit I was kind of surprised. Especially since there is nowhere at Nextel online that I can go to check to see how many GPS (kb/mb) I have used. I need to be able to manage it properly so as not to exceed it.

If all of the above is true, is anyone aware of a third party software capability (freeware/Shareware) I can get that will track the amount of GPS (kb/mb) data I have sent using my cell phone. Thank You! I love my accutracking too! mrberrie?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

ah... :D glad that you clearify yourself on those numbers and hope this clears others who had the same questions.

1MB is the Internet data transfer limit, shared by all programs on your phone that access the Internet.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

On the i730 you can get an approximation of your total usage, in Kb, by going to:

Menu key
Call timers
Scroll down to Kb reset. Click on OK
There you can read your Kb usage, and reset the total each month.

I hope that helps.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

That KB timer is not for Total Connect data traffic. It counts the 'Web' traffic from the full/premium web service only. :oops:
AccuTracking Support
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

I'll shelve my disagreement until I re-check, but I think that I am correct... ;)
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

I checked. I reset my usage when I posted initially. I have not used any of the net related features other than tracking. Currently it shows 15.4...

Then I did a reset, loaded Accutracking again, sent my position 3 times in rapid succession, and rechecked my usage, and it shows 3.6.
mrberrie2

Total Connect 1 mb Send limitation

Post by mrberrie2 »

ATSupport wrote:ah... :D glad that you clearify yourself on those numbers and hope this clears others who had the same questions.

1MB is the Internet data transfer limit, shared by all programs on your phone that access the Internet.
I can assume that you agree with everything the was said in the initial post. Just to be real clear they said the 1mb limit applied to sent data (in my case GPS logitude/latitude data. :?:
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Sorry I didn't do the full check. :o I did the same thing as you for the web data. 8) Reset the timer, went to Nextel wap net, checked the counter, it showed the KB amount. Therefore it records both traffic - web and total connect.
Last edited by ATSupport on Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AccuTracking Support
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

IMHO....TOTAL data.. that means sent and received.
Subterfuge

Post by Subterfuge »

Well that stinks then. I've only done 18 location transmissions using accutracking and my estimate says 59.6 KB. Maybe it wasted a lot of bandwidth after my i730 pestered me to "upate security settings" on my browser.

I also thought I was getting data usage readings when I did the key sequence #,*,Menu, R-directional to see a screen that said "total usage." Any idea what this value is?
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

It tracks all net bandwidth, and that would have been included in that total, but NOT on your bill, that is why it is only for estimation.
Subterfuge

Post by Subterfuge »

<phew> Glad to hear that. I just did an experiment where I cleared the KB counter, turned off/on my phone and already it had 1.9KB in data usage just from that process! Thanks for the info.
GpsData

Post by GpsData »

I got 500 Mb usage on my first statement. I have a i88s with 5 minute sending interval, Smartsend on 24 hours a day running only Accutracking. The car is driven less than 2 hours a day. I don't expect the data to be that high.

The current usage this month Nextel says is 210 calls in the past 5 days, total of 150 kb. Although the 42 calls per day seems right, each call on the average is 730 bytes. That's way too high as people said it should be 85 bytes per packet. Don't know why it is so high and Nextel tech can't show me anything in details.

Do you expect any other big packets going on with Accutracking? Does the bandwidth get affected if I reload the Tracking page more often? How should I go about debugging this?

Thanks.
mrberrie-1

Hummmm!

Post by mrberrie-1 »

See, that is what I didn't understand. How can they correctly bill for something they can't explain to the customer or for something they don't seem to even understand. I think it is a scam! Mrberrie-1
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

They must mess up. Do the math, 5 days 150K is about 0.9M a month. No way you can get 500M per month. 16M per day?! Like a joke.
AccuTracking Support