SMS Alert Charges

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
tchovorka

SMS Alert Charges

Post by tchovorka »

I just got my cell phone bill and had $46.00 in email charges for what I thought were going to be regular text message alerts from accutracking. I have free unlimited incoming text on my cell plan but for some reason these are being classified as email instead of text by cingular and are billed at .10 each. What am I doing wrong here?

Todd
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Which phone company are you with? The message classification depends on each company's contract. At least you should let them show you where it's stated that way in the contract.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
tchovorka

SMS Alert Charges

Post by tchovorka »

I am with Cingular.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

This page here lists and compares the incomings SMS email message rate of different carriers. It does look like Cingular is charging $0.10 per message. Others:
ALLTEL - no charge
ATT - no charge
Sprint - no charge
MetroPCS - no charge;
Verizon - $0.02
T-mobile - $0.05
Nextel - 0.15
AccuTracking Support
tchovorka

SMS Alert Charges

Post by tchovorka »

Can you provide a preference option to send just simple text messages. I get hundred of text messages a month as an IT Director and these are the only ones that I get charged for since I have unlimted incomming text on my service plan.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Like many other online SMS systems, our service uses SMS Email for short messages. Using the traditional SMS gateways would require a different system and cost a lot more. Is it possible for you to reduce the number of geofences?
AccuTracking Support
tchovorka

SMS Alert Charges

Post by tchovorka »

Now that you are charging customers the cost should be justifiable. I have reduced my number of Geofences to 0. I am not willing to pay for incoming alerts.
mrberrie-1

Re: SMS Alert Charges

Post by mrberrie-1 »

Hummm! Incoming in most cases is free because you cannot control who sends you shit.

tchovorka wrote:Now that you are charging customers the cost should be justifiable. I have reduced my number of Geofences to 0. I am not willing to pay for incoming alerts.
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

but its not an incoming sms, its an incoming email.

and to change that, then accutracking would have to get a sms server running so it could send to sms.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Most carriers treat the incoming message via SMS gateway the same as real incoming SMS.
madrabbitt wrote:but its not an incoming sms, its an incoming email.

and to change that, then accutracking would have to get a sms server running so it could send to sms.
AccuTracking Support