i415 battery bad (bloated) can I run without battery?

Discussions about AccuTracking Starter Kit and phones.
youbecha

i415 battery bad (bloated) can I run without battery?

Post by youbecha »

I have the phone hardwired so it is always powered.

I just noticed that the back popped off the phone because the lithium ion battery was bloated...obviously that is bad...(could pop?)

I am trying to figure out a way to run it without a battery installed. When I power it up without battery it says "Invalid Battery".

Sure I could spend $20 for another battery...but I would still run the risk of another bloat...which could lead to a fire?

Any hacks out there to ignore the built in battery?
hutch109

Re: i415 battery bad (bloated) can I run without battery?

Post by hutch109 »

No, the charger does not provide enough power, you will need to run it with the battery in.

Also the battery on a constant charge is bad also - as you have found out.

Your lucky all you had a was a "bloat" - and not a lithium ion explosion and ensuing fire...

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
youbecha

Post by youbecha »

Charger doesn't produce enough power?

The phone charges while turned on...

Ok then, can someone give me the battery pinouts so I can hook juice directly to the pins rather than going through the charging circuit?
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

Right, the charger does not produce enough power - to power the phone on its own. Its not a power supply - its a charger. The battery acts as a "float" to handle the power surge - caused by turning the transmitter on etc.

The phone operates on 3.7 volts, if your going to try and power it off the car - your going to have a circuit that would drop down the 12v of a car - to the 3.7v of the phone - if you want to "hook juice directly to the pins".

If your asking for the pinouts, you might want to think of another alternative...

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Rob

Post by Rob »

You would need a regulated cigarette lighter adapter..I will test one here in my shop ..the pins are quite easy ..just match them with the battery plus minus..or give me a call!
Our proven, low cost motion activated 1296 and i425 solution with Accutracking.. will give you weeks of service on a single charge! (Battery Charger Included) Eliminates the daily recharging routine or the need to hard wire to auto electrical systems. Boost starter kits, lithium polymer batteries,and waterproof magnetic cases...For more information please call 716 830.7791 anytime!

Rob
youbecha

Post by youbecha »

Thanks.

I (carefully) removed the bloated battery from its case and was left with a nice plugin to the phone...The 3.6ish regulated power I already have available...

With the empty battery case installed, the charger wants to charge the battery and powers up, but powers down again.

Luckily it is just two leads for the battery, so once I measure which one is plus, the hookup will be straight forward.

But yes, since the phone used 4 pins for the battery hookup, that would have made it challenging without a pinout if I hadn't removed the battery from the holder.

I am tempted to replace the li-ion with nicads...but the charging circuit will probably be wrong for them...so I will simply hook up direct, and skip the charging circuit.
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

The charging circuit will be wrong for NiCads - can could cause a fire.

The extra pins are feedback pins for the charge circuit. You will end up with an "incompatable charger" error - and the phone won't like it.

Eric