How infrequently can you set the interval

Discussions about AccuTracking Starter Kit and phones.
Prom

How infrequently can you set the interval

Post by Prom »

How infrequently can you set the interval for checking location with the cell phone tracker? Can it be set say for every 60 mins? Would that extend the battery life for several days?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

Post by Guest »

Thank you, that was helpful but can you give me an estimate of how long the battery will last if it was set for sending every 4 hrs in a good cell coverage area (for example). Or put another way, is it possible to get 2 - 3 days from the phone by setting the interval and if so, about how far apart would you have to set it?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

I don't think you can get 2-3 days, despite of interval settings. It consumes battery other than acquiring positions and sending data. For example, it constantly checking for the number of satellites in view etc. The best you can get I think is about 12 hours.
AccuTracking Support

Post by Guest »

I know with my regular cell phone I can leave it on for at least two days before the battery is gone as long as I'm not talking on it so passive tower checking doesn't consume that much battery power.

Oh well, I'd really like something I could get a couple of days out of without having to put hands on it.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Well, nothing can compare to idle time. :) For example, "Satellites in view" involves queries to the GPS chipset, which uses more power. You might consider hooking up with car battery?
AccuTracking Support

Post by Guest »

You know what would be great - a phone that only comes on and checks each time the car moves and then only for a limited time. If one were to have something like that it would track each place the car stopped and when but not the whole route - which to me isn't relevent.

Post by Guest »

Can't get to the car battery for what I want.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

hm... some users on this forum are doing the motion sensor with a mercury switch. Try the search in this forum for details.
AccuTracking Support