Aquisition time

Report new bugs or search known ones.
Skibum

Aquisition time

Post by Skibum »

On starting of Accutracking, many times I get an error 825, sometimes I just do not get a position. This does not occur with other apps, which usually aquire in 15 seconds or so. I can also see this behavior if I toggle hotfix from off to back on, then wait for a fix. It has already been 2 minutes, and nothing. (assuming that the hotfix was fixed.. :) )

When I check from another application, directly after this occurs, I get an initial fix in 10-15 seconds, and get the report that there are indeed plenty of sats. to pick up.

I have a feeling that the way that Accutracking is accessing the GPS might be a bit askew.

If I load program "X" first, then close it, and directly go to Accutracking, the GPS info comes right away.
Last edited by Skibum on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

BTW this is not something new to this build. I have seen this before, and just could not pinpoint what was going on.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Eror 825 indicates that the location fix has timed out because a fix is not attainable, and assist data is unavailable.

AGPS uses cellular assisted data to retrieve a location fix. The assisted data is obtained from Nextel Location Enhanced Service (LES) Server. It uses a little more bandwidth of your packet data service.

Programs may use the assisted data in different ways.

AccuTracking retrieves it from LES if no assist data exists or if the assist data is expired with a short timeout value. Pro: faster fix in 'good network coverage area'. More accurate position with the help of assist data. Con: In poor network coverage area when the LES connection is slow, it may timeout (impatient for slow data). If outside of the network coverage area, the program will not get assisted data. Thus may not lock in.

The program 'X' you mentioned retrieves the assist data with a long timeout. If it cannot obtain the data, it'll do a phone-chipset-only fix. Pro: Will fix when being outside of network. Con: connecting to LES takes more time to timeout when fixing in 'poor' network coverage area; Chipset-only fix is less accurate.

The reason for us to take the first approach is that we believed in the context of tracking, when you are out of the Network coverage, the position data cannot be sent to our server anyway even if you obtained a fix from chipset. So we went for a faster and more accurate way. That was also why you mentioned earlier that AccuTracking was the only program on your phone that got your home Lat/Long most accurate.

If you think that getting a position on phone screen is important, even outside of the network coverage when the position cannot be sent out, we would consider to change the assist data usage in the program.

What do you think?
Last edited by ATSupport on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

.....thinking....
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

I am not sure if AGPS is the issue or not. The other app, which displays sat info, is picking up more than 4 sats within 15 seconds or so. That leads me to believe that the position info must be all gps.

Is there any reason that you could think of that would make an 825 show in Accutracking? To me it seems that at these times the GPS unit may not be initialized. I can wait for many minutes, and not get sat data.

Code: Select all

Timing now......
E822 in 80 seconds 
2 minutes.... still sez refreshing, still no position
2:20 E822
3 minutes... still no position.
3:15 Position aquired hotfix working, position updating every 7 seconds.
Stop application
Start "other" application
4 satellites or more aquired in 15 seconds
position sent in 20 seconds.
stop application
start Accutracking
data aquired in 40 seconds
data sent
stop application
reboot phone
start Accutracking
position in 20 seconds
stop program
start program
e825 in 30 seconds
data aquired in 45 seconds
is the time to 825 something that you set? perhaps the position fix is ALMOST there, and after a timeout, the whole sarch is starting all over again?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Yes, the fix will start over if timed out. E825 time out is not set by our program. E822 means the fix is obtained but the position accuracy cannot be guarantteed so it is discarded.

These issues would likely be solved by switching to long timeout and low position accuracy. I am going to talk with other guys about this, see if we can make a build for you to try again in your area.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

I am happy to try anything you need, however I still think that the issue may be elsewhere. I have the phone sitting on my desk here, (hotfix OFF)
and I have not had a position update in 12 minutes. "No Position" "waiting for next fix" is displayed.
Now if I exit this app, and go directly to the other app...without moving the phone... I get 7 satellites tracked in 15 seconds, and the location sent shortly thereafter.
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

reloaded Accutracking directly after, position was obtained. Reenable hotfix, go back to main screen, and nothing is happening.
Go back to the setup, and click OK again (hotfix was enabled) then "refreshing position" appears on the main screen, and HOTFIX is working as expected.
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

turned OFF hotfix, and cannot get a position. "waiting for next fix"

Again, this is from a known position that is capable of accessing at least 6 sats at this time.

Loaded other app, position in 6 seconds, 6 sats reporting. (for reference)