How To: Ideal accutracking setup with i415 and a car

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
afrotronics

How To: Ideal accutracking setup with i415 and a car

Post by afrotronics »

This setup is useful for anybody wanting to discreetly track a car WITHOUT making any changes to the vehicle (ie hardwiring the phone to the car battery).

An example application for this could include tracking a vehicle that someone owes you money on and has a past due balance to you and you wanna see what the heck they are doing with all of their time.

Tangible Items Used:
Motorola i415
USB Serial Data cable
i415 Wall Charger
2007 Chrysler Sebring

Intangible Items Used:
i415 Firmware Update
OpenJAL
Accutracking Software

Procedure:

Steps 1-12 could take a while to do, but it's okay since being discreet isn't important during these steps. Steps 13-17 take only a matter of seconds, these steps should be done discreetly.

1)Update the i415 firmware, you can get this at the motorola developer website(registration required).
-This step is crucial. This update significantly increases the i415's
GPS reception quality.

2)Erase all of the other applications.
3)Install the Accutracking software.
4)The settings I used were:
-Send Interval (Min): 1
-Tracker ID: ########## (masked)
Options:
-Smart sending: On
-HotGPS: Off
-Cell Tower Fix: Off
-Low Signal Mode: Off
-Auto Interval: Off
-Pwd Protect: Off
-Cache Size: 100
5)Run the Accutracking software for a little bit and then exit
6)Go back to the Main Menu
7)Select Personalize->Power Up->App and set it to "Accutracking"
8)Go back to the Main Menu->Volume and turn all the volumes to the lowest possible.
9)Go back to the Main Menu->Advanced->Disco Lights and set it to "Off"
10)Go to Display/Info->Backlight-> and set Backlight to "Off"
11)Turn phone off and Charge
12)When the phone is done charging disconnect from charger (duh)
13)Go to the car and open up the trunk.
14)Turn the phone on
15)Lift up the floor upholstry of the trunk, place phone in the spare tire compartment (watch out for grease and stuff)
16)Put down the floor upholstry, making sure it looks the way it did before you put the phone in there.
17)Close trunk

I tested this on my girlfriend's car (with her permission..seriously) to see if the least checked area of a car (the spare tire compartment) would be a good location to put the phone. Initially I didn't think it would work because of all of the metal and fabric the signal has to get through. To my surprise, the phone's GPS was getting INCREDIBLE reception. So far, the software has been running since 1:00PM and it is now about 6:00PM and the battery says it is still at 100% (I'm not sure how accurate that is). Anyways this is just my 2 cents. I'll update this to see how long it takes for the battery to run out.
narcotics3

Post by narcotics3 »

AT,
Can you verify if this method is Ok and will better the GPS capabilities of the i415.lso, if I do not have the data cable, what other way can I do this?
Also, is it required to uninstall all the other apps?

Thanks
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

The OP did a great job I think. For i415, the only way to install AccuTracking is using a USB data cable. No need to uninstall other programs but I think he just wanted to keep the phone neat.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
narcotics3

Post by narcotics3 »

ATSupport wrote:The OP did a great job I think. For i415, the only way to install AccuTracking is using a USB data cable. No need to uninstall other programs but I think he just wanted to keep the phone neat.
So if We just upgrade the firmware, should that really help?
Also, in one of your posts you had indicated how to masure the Phone GPS was unrestricted.....
I tried that but did not see the menu tree that you had given for this.
Any ideas?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

On i415, "Unreistricted" option is under "menu" > "More..." > "GPS" > "Privacy"
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
timeline

sebring test

Post by timeline »

I may be dense but how did you keep the battery running longer? That's what I need as its difficult to keep removing it from the vehicle to recharge and than the time to do it and thanput back in. also vehicle does not have trunk.

any advice?
Robert

longer battery life

Post by Robert »

We have a motion activated circuit and a thin lithium polymer battery that lasts up to 3 weeks of use. No need to remove the unit for charging daily..once the car stops the unit goes to sleep mode with zero battery drain..works awesome!

Also we remove the speaker, earpiece and mic..this makes it more riskfree of ever making a sound!
kimbray

Powering the i415

Post by kimbray »

Is there a way to get a DC connection in the trunk of a car via the AC powercord that comes with the 415?
gpate

DC Power in the Trunk of a Sebring

Post by gpate »

Gently pull back the carpet on the passenger side of the trunk and you will find a 12V plug that was intended to supply power for a power antenna. My daughters car does not have a power antenna, so it was simple task to wire the adapter to this plug. I then put industrial velcro on the back of the phone and ledge behind the carpet to hold the phone in place. Push the carpet back in place and it is hidden and out of the way.

BTW...my daughter knows that it is installed in her car. After a few incidents where she was not where she said, I gave her a choice of giving up her car or letting me install the GPS.
Pop

i415 firmware

Post by Pop »

I'm having trouble locating the i415 firmware update on the Motorola website. Can someone provide a link?

Thanks!
Rob

Re: How To: Ideal accutracking setup with i415 and a car

Post by Rob »

Our proven, low cost motion activated 1296 and i425 solution with Accutracking.. will give you weeks of service on a single charge! (Battery Charger Included) Eliminates the daily recharging routine or the need to hard wire to auto electrical systems. Boost starter kits, lithium polymer batteries,and waterproof magnetic cases...For more information please call 716 830.7791 anytime!

Rob
acxpert

Post by acxpert »

So how can I buy a motion activated i425 and how much $$?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Call us..
Our proven, low cost motion activated 1296 and i425 solution with Accutracking.. will give you weeks of service on a single charge! (Battery Charger Included) Eliminates the daily recharging routine or the need to hard wire to auto electrical systems. Boost starter kits, lithium polymer batteries,and waterproof magnetic cases...For more information please call 716 830.7791 anytime!

Rob
larfus

Post by larfus »

I own one of these phones that i bought from another site and now use it with Accutracking. It works and works great. No need to worry about lock ups or charging. (at least for about a month). The more the phones activated the more it uses power of course. you can not use it to make calls with the new mod and the sim card is not easily accessible at least with my modded phone. none of that matters to me because I use it for tracking only. right now my cousins using it for his fishing trip. I set up gps fences for him to notify him were he is on the river. The main use is for my car though. I am not advertising for Rob nor do I know him I am just giving my 2 cents on how this is worth it.
Will Car Charger make this system Maintainace Free?

Post by Will Car Charger make this system Maintainace Free? »

If I do this exact setup and get a car charger and larger phone battery and wire it covertly into the ignition switch, thus the battery gets charged for 30min drive to work and 30 min drive home everyday , will this allow me never to worry about having to charge the phone battery myself or do I risk a possability of lockup due to fact that the phone is always on. basically i want a cheap system that I can install in the car and not worry about. Car is driven atleast 1 hour a day 6 days a week.