i730 and Accutracking successful and consistent?

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
mgwfrench

i730 and Accutracking successful and consistent?

Post by mgwfrench »

Kind of a dumb question... but I am in the 15 day evaluation period for my i730/Nextel contract and I need some feedback before I fully commit to a 2 year Nextel contract and this phone. Reason I bought it was to be able to track my son's where abouts for his own protection (and parents' peace of mind). After much study of various available location services, it appeared that Accutracking offered a very comprehensive location tracking service... and I sure couldn't beat the price. I live in the Fredericksburg area of Virginia. My questions are these: 1) Has anyone been able to successfully and consistently track an i730 using Nextel's Total Connect and Accutracking in my area? 2) Has anyone had any problems in my area and if so, what? Many thanks for your help. -- M.
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

The only issue you might have is NEXTEL coverage...
Have you looked at this:
mgwfrench

coverage not a problem...

Post by mgwfrench »

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think coverage is a problem. I have signal and can make calls. The problem is that I've done everything to make it work but continuously get the message "Satellite: No fix... waiting..." The GPS connects to 5 satellites and gives me a location over and over again. I just cannot get the accutracking to work. Any ideas?

I'd love to keep this phone and service, but tomorrow is the last day i can return it without penalty. I really need to see this thing work before I make a 2 year committment to Nextel and the i730.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Were you using in open sky? GPS doesn't work well in downtown skyscrapers. Don't put it in pocket if you are walking (though it works most of time). Put on the dash board if driving. 4 is the minimum satellites needed to fix a position. 5 satellites can pinpoint position but that depends on the layout of the satellites (if 3 of them align in staight line, you need more). So, do try an open air area.

Also, upgrade to the latest version (v2.0.1) and see any better.
Last edited by ATSupport on Thu May 13, 2004 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

accutracking working...

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info. I have 2.0 but I'll see if I can d/l 2.0.1. In the meantime I went to install and use ulocate. Their instructions told me to go into the GPS setting on the i730 and set the privacy setting to "by permission". On a hunch, I went into the GPS setting and found it on "private" and set it to "unrestricted". Went back to accutracking. Bingo! 7 satellites all fighting to give me a location. :lol: This might be a good thing to put into your installation instructions. It took me several days to stumble upon it.

Question: If I d/l the csv data file... is there a better map that I can use with this data? I don't mind paying for it. Thanks. -- Mike
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

No much difference between 2.0 and 2.0.1 except for a bug fix on time display.

CSV file can be imported to desktop map programs like MapPoint, Streets & Trips.
AccuTracking Support
rlim

Post by rlim »

ATSupport wrote:No much difference between 2.0 and 2.0.1 except for a bug fix on time display.

CSV file can be imported to desktop map programs like MapPoint, Streets & Trips.
is there a way to send that csv file over the net?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Currently CSV file can only be downloaded from our site. We are hooking up MapPoint to the live tracking data in the next version.
AccuTracking Support
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

OOOO... nothing like dropping a carrot!

:P
zipzag

carrot

Post by zipzag »

dangling it anyway :lol:
zipzag

Post by zipzag »

the mappoint will really save alot of steps from having to import the cvs files,really good news
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

Just when is that carrot going to be ready to eat? :lol: