HOTGPS question

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.

HOTGPS question

Post by Guest »

I currently have my hotgps off and the phone is permanently hooked up to my car's battery power. I have yet to have a dead battery on my car but my question is, if I turn hotgps on will I be at risk of draining my car battery? is it that much of a strain put on the phone with hotgps on?

The reason I'd like to try that is that I get fixes sometimes every 20 minutes or longer when I have it set to 1min. Will hotgps on help with that?

Thanks.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

It looks more like the sky view problem. The message on the phone screen will help you determine. If it reads "Position not fixed" most of time, you need to adjust the position of the phone in your car. Hot GPS will drain battery a lot faster.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

While HOTGPS will drain a cell phone battery a lot faster, the drain on a car battery is still quite small. I don't think you would have any problems with dead car batteries in a vehicle that was used anything more than occasionally.
I can't be tracked anymore... :(

Post by Guest »

Thanks for both replies, I will switch "Hotgps" on and will see if I get better fixes. Currently there is no way I could place the phone on a different location unfortunately. Only if I could somehow hook up the phone antena to an external antena that would probably work (i415 phone) is that possible?

thanks.
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

where is the phone located?

mine is currently stashed by the spare tire, it has a rubber duck antenna on it, but it still doesnt get the gps chipset pointed to the sky, so its probably not relying on the gps as much as the network.

how many bars of signal do you normally get?

there is an external antenna port on the 415, BUT, to use it, you have to either remove or drill thru the battery door.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.

Post by Guest »

My phone is located in the engine compartment hooked up to the a cable running by the front grill of the car, protected from the elements of course. It is facing down with the antena pointing right so I don't know how many bars I get while in that position. I have looked at the phones' manual and it says nothing about an external antena port. Where did you get this information mrabbit? I don't mind customizing the back of the phone, its sole purpose is to live there and do its thing. Please send me or post more information.

Thanks.
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

i got the information by pulling off the battery door and looking. LOL.
its located directly to the left of the black boost logo that comes thru the door. little gold port.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.

Post by Guest »

So if I understand correctly, the antenna is not its locator but the GPS chip? I have read in some posts that the orientation of the chip is what matters more than the orientation of the antenna is this true? if so which way is best to face the phone, down or up? is the back or front the best face to point to the sky?

thanks.