Why is "Total Connect" service plan needed

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
Dirk

Why is "Total Connect" service plan needed

Post by Dirk »

Hi Folks,
New i730 owner here. Really wanting to try out this service.

I am pretty familiar with wireless wap programming and have built several database driven wireless apps (- and use them every day). I currently have Nextel's "Premium Web" service. This allows me to browse to ANY address, send and receive data in forms, use AOL Instant Messenger, etc.

I know absolutely nil about J2ME programming but why can't the java program just send data (the GPS data) to a webserver just like when a user enters form data, like with GET or POST with the "Premium Web" service? The phone has the ability to upload data to a webserver with "Premium Web" service PLUS it has the ability to receive GPS info from satellites then why can't we put those 2 together!?

Also, can someone explain the big differences between the 2 levels of service? I see you can have a public IP address with the Total Connect... Can you hook up a cable to your laptop and browse at higher speeds than if you used the phone as a modem?? If so, I could probably do a lot of damage to my wallet really fast! Whew, that stuff is expensive!

Thanks for any help!
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

Premium web will work fine!

...and that is just what this program is doing... sending the gps info to a server.

Premium web and Total Connect are pretty much the same thing....

an d forget about browsing with your laptop, unless you like 9600... on a good day....
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

I'll try to straight these things out: :)

1. WAP cannot do it because it has no way to access GPS APIs on iDEN phones. WAP does the server side job, but for GPS, only J2ME does it (on iDEN phones).
2. When J2ME applications talk to any web server (WAP or Non-wap), the data service needed is 'defined'(or marketed) by Nextel as the 'Total Connect Service'. Not premium web.
3. 'Premium web' only enables browsing WAP site with the phone WAP browser.

:idea: So put it in short, you DO need 'Total Connect' $$$ out of your pocket. :wink:
Last edited by ATSupport on Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Skibum

Post by Skibum »

My mistake... I was comparing total connect to packetstream. Sorry for the confusion.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Skibum - so you've got it working with just "Premium Web" service? I've tried it - everything seems like it is working but no data shows up on the web...

ATSupport - Thanks for your help. Your #2 above makes sense I think(unless SkiBum is correct in that you can use the service with just "Premium Web"). You're saying that any J2ME app, when it connects to a server on the internet, it connects in a way (maybe through TCP/IP ports/sockets) that you have to have a "Total Connect" type connection on Nextel's side for it to work???

On your #3: With Premium Web you can browse to ANY page on the internet. It doesn't have to be programmed in wml or whatever. It will just not make any sense...and be hard to navigate...etc.

It just seems like there would be a way for a J2ME app to pass data to the phone's WAP browser to get it to the web.

Thanks again for your help!
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

SkiBum - sorry, you posted while I was typing my message.

Thanks anyway
ej22

Post by ej22 »

what is the reason DownloadApp works fine connecting to a server? and AccuTracking couldn't?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

It's not difficult for Nextel to accomplish the firewall-like job on their gateway server.

DownloadApp is their own application and is granted a green light (based on digital signiture, e.g.), while all other applications are checked against the plan subscribed.

Or DownloadApp is using a totally different isolated server in any way which only hosts the application libarary for download but cannot connect outside.

In short, 'NOT ALL APPLICATIONS ARE BORN EQUAL'. :wink:
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I didn't use Nextel's web download manager.

I used a USB cable up download the program into my phone.

So you guys are saying that you need the service that gives you an IP address for this to work? That there's no way for a java app to send form data to a webserver without Total Connect?