accessing map from PDA

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
smpclient

accessing map from PDA

Post by smpclient »

I have my handheld pulling from the little code insert on my website to see the long/lat and speed of my phone. When I try to click on MAP to see a physical map from any of my PDA's...

HP iPaq6315
Palm Treo 650
Blackberry 7520

The map appears emtpy (I'm guessing because the browser needs active X or java, or something it doesnt ahve)

Is there a solution for viewing and tracking these phones from a web enabled PDA? That would be awesome as I will use this app mostly for following an photographing employees who are in places they shouldnt be (all within the limits of the law of course).

Thanks!
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

You are right about javascript. If you just need the latest position info, have you tried to put a "web sticker" on your site and view that from PDA?
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
smpclient

KMAPS rules! Copying the cords from location sticker

Post by smpclient »

I did find KMAPS, which is an awesome project for the Treo 650 that enables Google Maps. It works inside its own app and not the web browser so the sticker links dont work still.

I have to grab a pen and paper and right down the cords in the car, and then enter them into KMAPS to see the position.

I wish there was a way to either email myself new cords in real time or if the web sticker wasn't an image I could copy and paste all from the treo.

I seen there is a php file that is building the image, is their code available to just post the live cords in clear text via a database pull? or is that what you are trying to protect?

Either way, accutracking rules, is there somewhere where we can donate to the project???
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

I think our legacy websticker links would definitely help you out. They were the links to MapQuest, ACME aerial, and TopoZone maps, used before we upgraded to Google maps. They work in your case because they don't use Javascript and work in most basic browsers.

Here is how:
In your web sticker HTML code, replace all "loc.php" with "locmq.php" and you are all set. You still get the same sticker image but when clicked, it brings up other non-google maps.

For example, change:
http://www.accutracking.com/loc.php?id=xxxx&type=1
to:
http://www.accutracking.com/locmq.php?id=xxxx&type=1

Unfortunately we don't accept donations now. But many thanks for your offer and support! It's always great to know that. :D
AccuTracking Support
smpclient

thanks!

Post by smpclient »

HURRAY! Thanks for that tip! That makes things much easier from the handled!!!
joesgt281

Post by joesgt281 »

I am having the same trouble.
It may have been answered here, but I'm such a newbie, I can't figure it out :cry:
I'm wanting to use my PDA phone, the Sprint (Siemens) PPC-6600, to track the vehicle carrying the GPS phone.
I can pull up individual maps at specific locations, but not the tracking map that shows all the points over a given period like I can get on my laptop through a normal Internet Explorer connection to the website.
Please dumb it down for me :lol:
Joe
joesgt281

Post by joesgt281 »

bump
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

joesgt281 wrote:I am having the same trouble.
I can pull up individual maps at specific locations, but not the tracking map that shows all the points over a given period like I can get on my laptop through a normal Internet Explorer connection to the website.
Joe
No it won't be like IE. The "all the points over a given period" page is heavily javascripted by Google. So you'll have to use the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread.
AccuTracking Support
joesgt281

Post by joesgt281 »

ATSupport wrote:
joesgt281 wrote:I am having the same trouble.
Joe
No it won't be like IE. The "all the points over a given period" page is heavily javascripted by Google. So you'll have to use the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread.
OK, I'm up for a little challenge.....
So what I gather from above, is that I need to create a page on my own website that pulls in this URL, and I guess my tracking ID goes where the x's are, right?
http://www.accutracking.com/locmq.php?id=xxxx&type=1
I tried that using typical IMG code but that no werkie.
Again, I'm a newb.....can you be a little more specific?
Thanks
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

The help on how to create the sticker and get the ID is in section 4.3 of http://www.accutracking.com/support.html
AccuTracking Support