Verizon

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
newbe

Verizon

Post by newbe »

Does any other carrier plan on using this soon, like Verizon?
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

I know of no other carrier that is planning to offer similar capabilities required to support a tracking solution like Accutracking. At least not for the next 6 months.
Of course anything's possible.
---joe
h2ofun

Post by h2ofun »

verizon yet?

Dave
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

Not to my knowledge. While GPS apps are beginning to appear on other carriers, NextelSprint iDEN is still to only platform that I am aware of that allows open access to GPS data and allows that data to be sent directly to a host. I've heard that Sprint has done something to open up the Blackberry GPS capabilities, but I don't know the details. The BB is too high end for my area of interest.
Even if Sprint decides to open up GPS access and even possibly provide autonomous handset capability on CDMA handsets (a biggie for tracking apps that might be used outside of cellular coverage), the J2ME environment is lacking in the features needed for an "enterprise" class app. For one, most phones do not run MIDlets in the background.

---joe
---joe

Post by Guest »

Darn. I have a family plan and 5 verizon phones. But, would really really like the tracking feature. Also, in my area, the coverage is the best with verizon.

Dave
jnewell

Post by jnewell »

I think, Verizon offers some sort of tracking service, but I could be wrong.
---joe