TK104 not updating regularly

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
Trolley300

TK104 not updating regularly

Post by Trolley300 »

Hello! We have used accutracking for several years to assist visitors wishing to ride our riverfront trolley so that we can help determine where it is and which direction it is heading so they know approximately when it will arrive at their location. The trolley doesn't run on a set schedule as it is more of a fun tourist attraction. It typically takes about 50minutes to 1 hour to do a complete round trip. This has been a huge help to those of us working with the public at the visitor center, hotels, restaurants, etc.

We had to change from our reliable old boost phone with the iden switch last spring. We ended up ordering a starter kit for the GPS tracker TK104 late last season and it was working admirably last fall. The trolley gets put away for the winter and did not operate from December through mid-March. The trolley began running again last week and we are having some difficulties with the tracker. It is showing the trolley is idle in one location rather than sending new location updates.

The volunteer with the trolley organization called me on Friday to confirm that the lights are correctly lit on the unit. I sent a text to the phone and it looks good too:
Battery 100%
GPS: ON
GPRS: ON
GSM: 19

This afternoon, I sent a text to the unit "fix060s***n123456" to ensure it was updating once a minute. I haven't noticed a change.

The trolley just went past my office heading west but it is still showing at 10th street - about half a mile east of here.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this are welcome. I can't figure out if I should be altering something in Accutracking or with the unit itself.

Thsnks,

Gina

PS - seems like I can't post links in this forum. If you'd like to see the active history map online, please visit oldoregon dot com and scroll down a little bit to the story about the Trolley.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: TK104 not updating regularly

Post by ATSupport »

1. Send the text message "nosuppress123456" to the tracker to disable the GPS drift suppression.
2. In case you would like to reboot the tracker, send text message "reset123456" to it and wait a few minutes for it to restart.

I can remotely diagnose the tracker, please email support(at)accutracking.com with your account details.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
Trolley300

Post by Trolley300 »

Thanks, it seemed to be working better later in the afternoon so I wondered if you had tinkered with it from afar. However, it's overnight readings when it wasn't moving bounced around by a quarter of a mile or so. We'll try this and let you know if it continues to act up or if this solves the issue.

Thanks for your help!
Sim?

Post by Sim? »

I just learnt today if a SIM card is not used for 3 months ( Deactivated ) it will not work after that. Some security feature. or a pain. So did you have the Sim activated for that winter period? Just an idea...

Glad its working, also great use for the system!\
Trolley300

Post by Trolley300 »

We had a spell of bad weather and days where I haven't been able to monitor the trolley's activity regularly so I am bit delayed in getting back to this.

Today, it began operating just before noon which I confirmed by watching it go past my office. The tracking report was showing it still in the barn. However, it is updating the location every minute so that issue is fixed!

I sent the "nosuppress" message by text, but I am not sure that was necessary since the issue is different now.
edit: The trolley is now reporting from a different location - and one that makes sense knowing their route so maybe this did help kick start the reports.

I wanted to check with you before sending the reset message. Does this simply do a power cycle or does it reset the unit to factory defaults?

Thank you for the note on the sim card as well. We did run into that this winter but resolved it a while ago. Thankfully Ptel was able to reactivate our sim card with little effort and I now have it recurring on my calendar to remind me to keep that current.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

reset123456 would just power cycle the tracker, not going to change any configuration.
Trolley300 wrote:We had a spell of bad weather and days where I haven't been able to monitor the trolley's activity regularly so I am bit delayed in getting back to this.

Today, it began operating just before noon which I confirmed by watching it go past my office. The tracking report was showing it still in the barn. However, it is updating the location every minute so that issue is fixed!

I sent the "nosuppress" message by text, but I am not sure that was necessary since the issue is different now.
edit: The trolley is now reporting from a different location - and one that makes sense knowing their route so maybe this did help kick start the reports.

I wanted to check with you before sending the reset message. Does this simply do a power cycle or does it reset the unit to factory defaults?

Thank you for the note on the sim card as well. We did run into that this winter but resolved it a while ago. Thankfully Ptel was able to reactivate our sim card with little effort and I now have it recurring on my calendar to remind me to keep that current.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com