Phone company needs IMEI numbers

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
newcustomer

Phone company needs IMEI numbers

Post by newcustomer »

I just purchased a few of the VT300 Gps units and when speaking with the cellular providers they need the IMEI numbers. The devices have not been delivered yet but does anybody know a way around this? I want to get the SIM cards delivered before the devices so we can start testing them immediately. Is it possible to get the IMEI numbers from the devices without having any network connectivity?

One other question, do you need to purchase the "special" usb cord to change the settings on the VT300 or will any mini-usb cord work?

Thanks!
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: Phone company needs IMEI numbers

Post by ATSupport »

The IMEI number can usually be found on the back of the device. Since you don't have the device yet, check with the seller and they usually have it on record. The device uses a USB to serial cable, which is not the same as a regular USB cable.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
new customer

Post by new customer »

Excellent! One other question, the devices arrived today and do not appear to have anywhere to plug a serial cable in. I have sent a message to the vendor asking about this issue but have a question for you as well. Is it necessary to program these devices through the serial port or with the text message commands or can everything be programmed through the accutracking software?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Most GPS trackers use text messages to program. If you don't see a serial port then it can not be programmed via a usb-serial cable. We do not have tools or software to program these devices directly.
AccuTracking Support
new customer

Post by new customer »

Sounds simple enough- do you have any idea how much data one of these devices will use over the course of a month? Are we talking about few megabytes, hundreds of megabytes or in the gigs? Also do we need to have texting enabled on these? I thought I read we only needed data.

Thanks for your quick responses, you've been a great help
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Yes only data is needed for tracking but you'll need text message for configuring the device. The data bandwidth depends on the coverage strength and update interval but should be under 0.5K for each transmission.
AccuTracking Support