High packet usage ?

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
robbie_tar

High packet usage ?

Post by robbie_tar »

I just got my first full monthly statement, and am concerned about the data packet usage shown.
I know how many "sends" I used during the billing period and using 60 bytes, get ~185,000 bytes. (60 * 60 per hour * 1.75hrs per day * 30days)

The bill shows 1,965,555 bytes with a $9 overusage charge!

I also downloaded the data from my account on Accutracking for the month, and confirm that the 185,000 is in line with what was received.

I talked to support at Nextel, and confirmed that Accutracking is the only thing running on my phone that could/should be sending or receiving packets. He said only java apps could, and nothing else is running to the best of my knowledge. Can anyone confirm this?

He ran a listing of "sends" and reported that most were in the range of 78 each, (60 + overhead??) but many were in the range of 800 each with a few in the 1,100 byte range, and at least some as high as 1,350.
He couldn't or wouldn't send me a copy, and I neglected to ask if he had any timestamps to go along with the data.

Time for a question!
Do any of you long-term users, of Total Connect have any similar stories, or am I the only one? Any idea what might be going out on the large packets and to whom? Is a running java the only way to use packets?
OR
Any other ideas or comments?

Thanks,
Tom R.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

That surely looks suspicious. 78 bytes looks right to me but 1K packets doesn't. The only thing I can think of is that the packet is re-tried for delivery when the network is unreliable, thus causes the overhead. However, this layer of communication is controlled by TCP layer instead of AccuTracking software.

I run about 10 hours * 5 days per week, with Smart Sending option ON, average usage 400~700K a month.

I would suggest you set the sending interval to 3 or 5 minutes, turn Smart Sending ON and check the network usage. Here are some topics that might be helpful:

Previous discussions about estimated packet size:
viewtopic.php?t=81

Previous discussions about bandwidth usage:
viewtopic.php?t=82
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
nextelnutt

Is That All...

Post by nextelnutt »

Not to make that sound measly. But with all the programs, I am running. the first month, I went over by $35.00 or so. But if that is the only thing you are running. It shouldn't be that high.

Mine was so high, that I added Packet Stream Gold

Hope you get your numbers where they should be. And don't hesitate to call Nextel and tell them you were overcharged.

As a Customer Service, they should wave some of the charges.

thanks.