Alerts not being sent to email or SMS

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
cvc1968

Alerts not being sent to email or SMS

Post by cvc1968 »

(I am posting this AND submitting it to the Accutracking support email address simultaneously)

I have seen older threads on this in the forum, but can't find a definitive fix that works for me. As of Wednesday, March 17 at 9:06 am, I have not been receiving any alerts to any of my email addresses or SMS email address.

On that day, I did go in and fiddle with my geofence settings some, including adding time ranges, changing some fences from "both" to just "in" or "out" and removing some of the email/sms addresses from some of the fences. So I wasn't expecting to receive as many alerts and it took me a few days to realize that I wasn't receiving ANY.

After discovering the problem, I went back to the fence settings and tried to restore the settings to what I had before (eliminating time ranges, setting all fences back to "both", etc). No luck. All alerts are being displayed on the site under "Alerts" but none are being emailed out.

Later I found a thread on the forum with a similar issue, in which the problem seemed to be caused by time ranges that straddled days. I don't think any of the time ranges I had set did that, but now, having removed all time ranges, the problem persists. I have tried creating new fresh geofences and I have added a speed limit alert to my device, but I still get no email alerts (though the alerts do appear under "Alerts").

My feeling is that something got broken with the outgoing email and needs to be reset in some way, but I don't know how to do that myself without scrapping the whole account and starting from scratch with a new account. I'd prefer not to do this and have to re-create my 27 fences. Can Accutracking support help?

Thanks in advance for anything you can do.
hutch109

Re: Alerts not being sent to email or SMS

Post by hutch109 »

I can tell you fences, and alerts - are currently working as designed.

Did you make any changes under your "account settings" page? Sometimes that alert does not stay "sticky" there...

Do you see check boxes in the SMS and EMAIL alert fields - under account settings?

If not, check those 2 boxes - and try again.

Double check your time frame fields too - and make SURE they are empty...

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 »

Thanks Eric. I've been working with tech support on this. It's been a real head scratcher.

I've tried everything from deleting the unit and creating a new one with a new tracker ID, which didn't work, to creating a whole new accounts with a completely new email addresses (created exclusively for this test) and its own new unit and tracker ID (and yes, I did update the settings on the phone to the new tracker IDs each time), which amazingly also fails to send email alerts. The only thing I can think of is that yahoo.com emails are blocked (I know it doesn't seem likely, and I even tried a gmail and mobileme email address in my tests of the first account, but perhaps the presence of the yahoo address broke the account for all?), as the only commonality between the original account and the new one is that the email address I used for both came from yahoo.com. I suppose I could try setting up another new account using a gmail address exclusively to see what happens.

The only other possible theory I have is that around the same time that I stopped receiving alerts, in addition to the settings changes I had tried to make, I had replaced the standard Accutracking midlet with a renamed midlet (as provided by Accutracking from the page they have for creating such things). I can't fathom how the phone software could prevent the web site from sending out emails for alerts that ARE getting generated on the Alerts page, but unless tech support finds something else at their end, it's the only other change that occurred around the time the emails stopped coming that I can think of. Deinstallng the renamed midlet and re-installing the official Accutracking midlet is all I know to try at this point.

I just hope that the support guys turn up something that makes sense.

I'm actually hoping it is some simple gaffe on my part, but my settings were checked by support on the original account and were good (or so I was told).
cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 »

On a positive note, the response from accutracking support has been incredible. I never expected to hear from anyone over the weekend, but I did. It's good to see that they really do care about their product and their customers.

Carl
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

No need to uninstall the midlet on the phone, cause your right, it does NOT send the updates out. As long as you see the alerts on the web page, then the AT server is what sends the info out - based on your settings. And your seeing alerts in your history, right?

There are some mail servers that would block incoming mail, and AT could be on there - do you have a way of "white listing" the email address? I would think with 3 accounts, one of them would get through.

I have however seen some accounts, like Go Daddy, that will root "filter" email from certain domains, even though you have "no filtering" turned on in your email account. Sometimes adding an address to the white list will allow it to go through.

Once you change, add, or remove an address in AT, its no longer used - so you should not have to start a new account at all.

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Turns out the re-named midlet, generated from the page provided to me by AccuTracking support, does indeed make use of a different outgoing email server in order to help preserve anonymity throughout the entire process. (so you don't get any emails that say they are from accutracking.com) That server was not working. But now it is.

On a side note, and relevant to my first posting thread (at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1654), simply changing the midlet-name in the original AccuTracking .jad file does NOT work (I tried and tried). You must use the re-named app generated at the page provided by request by AccuTracking tech support. Now that the anonymous mail server is working, all is well.

Once again, I want to emphasize that this has been the most responsive and quick resolution to a tech support issue I've ever received from any software company.

Special shout out to Tao at Tech Support, who doesn't seem to ever sleep, as I was getting correspondence throughout the day and night. Thanks again.

Carl