EMI and total shut down in every 2 days of hardwired i290

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
zderdak

EMI and total shut down in every 2 days of hardwired i290

Post by zderdak »

Hi,

I hardwired my i290 to my car, so it is constantly charged. It works great for 2 days and then the phone just shuts down, so I have to dig it out again and restart the phone and Accutracking. I know some people already reported lockups, is there any solution for this? Another thing is that I get some annoying electromagnetic interference from the phone (can hear it through the radio), that is mounted behind the dashboard. Anybody has experience with copper or aluminum tapes to decrease EMI? Would it also destroy my GPS signal and wireless connectivity?

Thanks
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: EMI and total shut down in every 2 days of hardwired i290

Post by ATSupport »

What was on the phone screen when you took it out? Suggestions: isolate the phone from heat or cold. Forward incoming calls to another number. For the buzz sound in car speakers, try to move the phone away from the audio system (try trunk etc). The metal cover would block GPS signal.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the quick reply. The phone was totally off in both cases when it happened, so there was nothing on the screen. I don't use it as a phone, all the phonecalls, etc are filtered out, except my own (other) cell phone. No messages, no emails were responsible for these shut downs. Leaving it out in the cold in my car maybe the problem. I think I have to move the phone at least behind the driver seat to diminish EMI, although I really want to keep the whole setup close to the fuse box and somewhere under the dashboard, where there is a clear view to the sky and not blocked by metal part.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

I do suspect weather is the issue. There _are_ a few reports of phone lock/shutdowns this winter: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1627
AccuTracking Support

Post by Guest »

Thanks again. I originally also bought an Otterbox (waterproof box) and tried to install the phone in the box somewhere but it was a little bit bulky. However now, I think I will have a second look at possible installation spots. I try to keep the phone inside for a few days and see if it shuts itself off. Otherwise, I have to think about thermal isolation, any thoughts?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

Sounds like a good idea... please post back your results and good luck! :)
AccuTracking Support
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

The EMI your hearing, is actually RF modulation caused by the iDEN transmissions - the only thing you can do to reduce it, is to increase the distance from the offending device, that makes it audible.

You can also notice this noise with CDMA, GSM, and any other type of modulation/RF transmission system - poor design, of other stuff (stereo etc...) is the main issue.

Poor shielding along wires that route to the car speaker/stereo system are usually to blame.

Move it to the trunk, or somewhere out of the front passenger compartment. Close proximity to one of the systems above is an issue - space/seperation between is your friend.

Ref your issue of the lock up, power off, etc - there are several issues with phones being placed on charge 24/7/365 - as they were never designed to be used that way.

The only "fix" that we have found to work, is to use a motion activation system - that controls power to the phone itself - that way its always being cycled - clears out errors, clean boots the phone, reduces power consumption, and solves a whole host of other issues.

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
zderdak

Post by zderdak »

I moved my phone to the trunk and it helped with eliminating the interference. I had to buy a microUSB extension cord to do this, since I mounted the phone charger close to the fuse box with an add-a-circuit device using a constantly hot fuse spot. Using the Otterbox with some extra Styrofoam insulation eliminated freeze ups, I guess the charging process generates some heat that is preserved inside the box and maintains acceptable operating temperatures.
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

Glad I could help - and glad it worked out.

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
zderdak

Post by zderdak »

Yes, thanks for your help!
OpXport

Re: EMI and total shut down in every 2 days of hardwired i29

Post by OpXport »

We have a I415 hardwired to a vehicle and running without interruptions for over 3 months .

We just installed a second one on another company vehicle since the first one was so successful.

We do believe that constant power to any battery device is looking for trouble. The circuitry is just not made to handle constant power.

Our solution a timer circuit to apply power in cycles of 4hrs on and 4hrs off. We also applied a small diode to provide power when the vehicle is running. We believe the diode is not needed as the 4hr cycle maintain the battery with a good 75-100% charge.

Total circuit cost about $33 and some soldering time.

We do not sell these circuits. We designed and built them out of need.

Parts:
Timing Circuit - We use a module from an aerospace electronic manufacturer $30.98
to save wiring 15 components plus it's rugged design we like.
Order a KD538 - Digital Repeat Cycle Timer, Off & On Times Equal, 10~600 Minutes, 12 VDC from ics-timers.com (ask for Al)
12v Reed Relay - $2
diode - .25
Circuit board and some wire - had spare laying around

To keep it neat, we used several connectors. The Car Stereo guy who installs it for you will appreciate this.

Need Schematics - The timer comes with a sample schematics that will work well for

Good luck

OpXport.com
OpXport

Re: EMI and total shut down in every 2 days of hardwired i29

Post by OpXport »

Forgot to mention our I415 location - Above glove box compartment. No RFI-EMI problems
OpXport wrote:We have a I415 hardwired to a vehicle and running without interruptions for over 3 months .

We just installed a second one on another company vehicle since the first one was so successful.

We do believe that constant power to any battery device is looking for trouble. The circuitry is just not made to handle constant power.

Our solution a timer circuit to apply power in cycles of 4hrs on and 4hrs off. We also applied a small diode to provide power when the vehicle is running. We believe the diode is not needed as the 4hr cycle maintain the battery with a good 75-100% charge.

Total circuit cost about $33 and some soldering time.

We do not sell these circuits. We designed and built them out of need.

Parts:
Timing Circuit - We use a module from an aerospace electronic manufacturer $30.98
to save wiring 15 components plus it's rugged design we like.
Order a KD538 - Digital Repeat Cycle Timer, Off & On Times Equal, 10~600 Minutes, 12 VDC from ics-timers.com (ask for Al)
12v Reed Relay - $2
diode - .25
Circuit board and some wire - had spare laying around

To keep it neat, we used several connectors. The Car Stereo guy who installs it for you will appreciate this.

Need Schematics - The timer comes with a sample schematics that will work well for

Good luck

OpXport.com