i415 External antenna

Discussions about AccuTracking software and web tracking.
winfieldh

i415 External antenna

Post by winfieldh »

I will be using an i415 for theft recovery. The unit will be geofenced to a location and by itself for long periods of time. Some areas are going to have spotty reception and I'm wondering if there is in fact a way to provide external antenna? If so, are there some examples of hardware and diagrams of what needs to be done. I have noticed one users mentiones a 100-900 smr antenna and showed a picture on his car roof top. If this works for improving reception, how then does that antenna connect to phone?
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

To be honest; your gonna find out that you do NOT need an external antenna... Unless you unit is severely burried - you will still have good coverage... If you want to discuss your theft recovery more, you can PM me...

E
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)
winfieldh

i415 external antenna

Post by winfieldh »

hutch109 wrote:Unless you unit is severely burried
E
That may be the case. This will be in a metal tool box. I suppose it is similar to a trunk and truthfully I haven't checked reception in the box yet, but I'm trying to stay ahead of the game. It is 16ga metal, somewhat like the "Ridgid" boxes you can buy at Home Depot.
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

I am running them in the trunk - and have benn 100% surprised.... I did 2 tests yesterday; 1 in a Saturn (yes, its a metal trunk), in the tunk, under the spare tire, in a case - 100% signal.

And also a plymouth grand voyager, in a case, in a compartment - 100% again...

Its amazing how sensitive the new receivers are - I remember back in the day when an 8-channel reciever was nice - but you had to be standing in a filed, on your toes to get a sig ack.

Now they are all 12 and 16 channel parralell receivers - and they really really do work.

I would try your box - and look at the strength remotely and see how well it is - you just might be surprised!

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

winfieldh

External Antenna

Post by winfieldh »

OK, I've tried the unit in the box it will live in and where it used to have full reception, it gets none. Evidently trunk metal is thinner than toolbox metal. I'm back to the original question; is it possible to attach external antenna? Thanks. Winfield
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

the i415 has an external antenna port, located directly to the left of the boost molded logo on the rear.
a hole will have to be drilled in the battery cover itself for the adapter to access the antenna port.

You need wilson part number 354008 (i3xx series adapter) and a nextel compatible external antenna. (iDEN Magnet Mount Cellular Antenna wilson Part # 304002)

I got mine at a truck stop. $24 for the antenna, $9 for the adaptor.

Heres the location of the port
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

Ok; Is that GPS only - iDEN only - Or both combined?

Thanks

E

madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

its iden 800/900 only.
However, because the phone relies so much on the towers for agps, it'll improve the gps signal accuracy and acquisition immensely.

I've got one on all the trucks with their assorted gps units. Really helps the signal.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.
hutch109

Post by hutch109 »

Perfect; Thanks for the info - now I just have to find a smaller antenna that can be used on some of my covert applications - any ideas??

Eric

madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

depends on what you're willing to spend and what you're willing to do to install it.

transit/low profile NMO mount antennas come in the SMR band.

Let me take a picture of what it looks like on the truck.
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

Sorry, forgot to post the picture.
While we're waiting for it to be emailed from phone to computer, here is the antenna type i'm talking about:

the newer style looks like this

If you want to go even more descreet, heres the lopro antenna:
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.
madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt »

antennex phantom low profile antenna installed (middle)

theres a wilson nextel mag mount and a magnetic dual band ham on there as well.

Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.