Permant install

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
Matty

Permant install

Post by Matty »

I have tried several other Java GPS apps for Boost mobile/Nextel phones and I must say they can be one of the most inexpensive and powerful GPS tracking solutions out there. In my experience I have found one major drawback and that is they do not work well as a “permanentâ€

JeePaRoo

Post by JeePaRoo »

matty:, with Leaving the chipset Hot, meanbing GPS is turned in all the time and a refresh rate of 1 minute, the internal battery will last about 16 hours. if you look at the battery capacity of the phone and then convert from the voltage the battery supplies to vehicle voltage.. even lets give the benefit of the doubt and say the phone is 3.6 volts (mine is) multiply 3.6 X 3 and you get 10.8 which is a little lower than vehicle voltage. if your battery is 600 mAH that means you can pull 600 mA for an hour (theortelically) before it is drained. a typical car battery is at least 30-40 AMP Hours or 40,000 mAH (theoretically), since current is relative to voltage, you need to divide the amount of current your phone pulls from its battery by 3, so say your phone on its own battery last 10 hours doing GPS sends every minute, that would be an average pull of 60 mA, even without conversion you can see how long that would last being divided into 40,000 mAH...

NOW that said, i do agreee the phones pull more power when plugged into car power as typically the backlights stay on constantly on the cord(and backlights pull a HUGE amount in a relative sense),plus there is some loss in the charger cord itself, but in a permanent mount situation I would modify the handset in such a way as to disable the backlighting, but nevertheless ive left a handset plugged into my dashboard and forgotten it at the airport for 4 days and still came back with my car being easy to start. Ive never ben able to be without my car long enough to leave it plugged in long enough to drain the battery completely.
-Christopher

Matty

Post by Matty »

As soon as I posted I realized that a weekend was probably too short of a time period for a complete discharge. So if we are talking about a weekend I'd have to say your right. I still believe that until the unit can be shut off in conjunction with vehicle power it won't work as a "permanent GPS tracking solution." Throw a cold climate in there, vehicles in a small fleet that don't sometimes can sit for longish periods of time and the possibility of a software freeze after weeks without a restart and it becomes a less feasible solution. Why? Because the “phone sideâ€

Jose1392

Post by Jose1392 »

Let me tell you, the car battery will last a long time even if the car is parked 100% of the time. I went out of the country and forgot to unplug my phone which is directly wired to the battery. Three weeks out of the country and when I came back I was sure to have a dead battery. It started right on without hesitation. I have a semi new battery on a minivan. I have never had issues with phone draining battery. Now if you have a faulty or very old battery that could change things. Just my 2cents...

Matty

Post by Matty »

If you look at JeePaRoo's post and my response you'll see we have already covered this.

Yes, these phones can last a long time charging directly off a vehicle battery but many things such as outside air temperature, size of the battery and its age will determine how long that will be. Those are risks that you have taken on in your “personalâ€