Decouple sample and send intervals

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
mwolczko

Decouple sample and send intervals

Post by mwolczko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:04 pm

I would like if the interval used for sampling the location could be different from the interval for sending data back from the phone, and for the former to be expressed in seconds rather than minutes.
That way I could have the phone sample locations frequently, but send only intermittently to save power.
This might necessitate increasing the maximum size of the cache of saved data (which appears to be 999 or 1000 points right now on the phones I use).

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:00 am

The hotGPS option on the iDEN version actually decouples the sampling and sending as you said. And hotGPS IS expressed in seconds.

Actually driving the GPS chipset and sending are both power consuming operations.

For the max cache size, we can increase to larger one. Maybe 999999? :) It was set to 999 to prevent user from setting it too high to max out their phone memory and possibly crash the phone.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

mwolczko

Post by mwolczko » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:23 am

ATSupport wrote:The hotGPS option on the iDEN version actually decouples the sampling and sending as you said. And hotGPS IS expressed in seconds.
OK, I never realised that.
Actually driving the GPS chipset and sending are both power consuming operations.
Right. But there's no need to be sending every minute or so...
For the max cache size, we can increase to larger one. Maybe 999999? :) It was set to 999 to prevent user from setting it too high to max out their phone memory and possibly crash the phone.
One more 9 will likely suffice. How many bytes in a cache entry?

mwolczko

Post by mwolczko » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:25 am

ATSupport wrote:The hotGPS option on the iDEN version actually decouples the sampling and sending as you said. And hotGPS IS expressed in seconds.
Actually, I was thinking more of sampling at, say, every 5 mins, and sending every hour. Keeping the GPS hot wouldn't be appropriate.

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:41 am

Yes, 5 mins sampling would not keep the GPS hot. Then I don't see why it needs to sample every 5 mins if not sending it. Or you mean just cache them and batch send every one hour? Losing the "real-time" part of the tracking service then...
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com