Assorted improvments on the BlackBerry 7100i

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
mwolczko

Assorted improvments on the BlackBerry 7100i

Post by mwolczko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:59 pm

I've been using Accutracking on a 7100i and have a few requests for enhancements specific to that phone:
1. It sometimes takes a very long time to get the first fix (many, many minutes), even though I am out of doors and in the clear. In contrast, TeleNav always seems to get a fix super-fast (within 30s). I'm wondering if there's something that can be done to make the first fix faster.
2. (See also the other message I'm about to post about intervals.) Would it be possible to have different send intervals depending on whether the phone was running on internal battery vs external power source?
3. Is it possible to get more detailed information about the satellite status? A good first step would be to know how many satellites had been acquired; detailed information on altitude, azimuth and signal strength would be even better. A graphical display of these would be best of all.
4. The i415 has useful options that aren't on the 7100i, such as cell tower fixes, HotGPS, auto interval. It would be nice to have these on the BB too.
5. In general the app could make better use of the bigger display. E.g., it could show the last N times that data was sent, have graphical representations of signal strength, etc.
6. Instead of asking every time the ESC key is pressed whether to run in the background or not, it would be nice to have a default (always/never/ask).

Maybe the BB APIs preclude some of these, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to enquire...

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: Assorted improvments on the BlackBerry 7100i

Post by ATSupport » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks for the solid list of the specific improvement suggestions.
mwolczko wrote:I've been using Accutracking on a 7100i and have a
few requests for enhancements specific to that phone:
1. It sometimes takes a very long time to get the first fix (many, many minutes), even though I am out of doors and in the clear. In contrast, TeleNav always seems to get a fix super-fast (within 30s). I'm wondering if there's something that can be done to make the first fix faster.
We'll investigate and see how to improvide the fix time.
2. (See also the other message I'm about to post about intervals.) Would it be possible to have different send intervals depending on whether the phone was running on internal battery vs external power source?
I don't think BlackBerry has such API telling battery or external power is attached.
3. Is it possible to get more detailed information about the satellite status? A good first step would be to know how many satellites had been acquired; detailed information on altitude, azimuth and signal strength would be even better. A graphical display of these would be best of all.
Unlike iDEN phones, I don't think BlackBerry can provide the satellite data. I might be wrong. If you see other applications have this info, please let us know.
4. The i415 has useful options that aren't on the 7100i, such as cell tower fixes, HotGPS, auto interval. It would be nice to have these on the BB too.
Blackberry doesn't have cell tower fix and hotGPS-like funciton. We can however add the auto interval.
5. In general the app could make better use of the bigger display. E.g., it could show the last N times that data was sent, have graphical representations of signal strength, etc.
6. Instead of asking every time the ESC key is pressed whether to run in the background or not, it would be nice to have a default (always/never/ask).
These are nice features we'd like to add. Thank you!
Maybe the BB APIs preclude some of these, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to enquire...
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

mwolczko

Re: Assorted improvments on the BlackBerry 7100i

Post by mwolczko » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I don't think BlackBerry has such API telling battery or external power is attached.
There's a Java app called BBLight that seems to be able to sense this.
Unlike iDEN phones, I don't think BlackBerry can provide the satellite data.
I might be wrong. If you see other applications have this info, please let us know.
I haven't seen anything do this on the BB, sorry.
Blackberry doesn't have cell tower fix and hotGPS-like funciton. We can however add the auto interval.
Thanks! ..and thanks for the fast reply.