Wish list ideas...

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
rizzo

Wish list ideas...

Post by rizzo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:28 am

Forgive me if some of these have been covered before, but I thought I would share some ideas with the developer(s) for useful new features of any new versions of the software.

1) Ability for the phone to store positions in case device is outside of Nextel data area (I know this has been covered before, just wanted to add it again!)

2) Ability to 'ping' the phone from the web - i.e. acertain if the phone is functioning and perhaps get vital signs from the unit (battery condition, GPS signal strength, etc. Also, have the ability to change the setup of the phone remotely from the website (toggle smart send, change number of minutes phone sends out position, turn the sending on/off, etc.)

3) "Watchdog function" - unknown if this is possible using the java app, but have some code in the phone that constantly monitors the state of the java app, and make sure it's running. If for any reason, the app fails or crashes, it auto-starts again.

4) "Auto-send to background" I know, I know...people have been asking for even more stealthy ways to run the program, I personally feel this should be a 'premium' service, and that people should pay to have that (and any other functions listed in this post) because there would be so many uses for this ability (i.e. teenagers cell phones, etc)

5) Along the lines of #2, have the ability for the phone to send those status messages to the server (i.e. low battery, GPS signal low/not acquired, etc) then have the server turn around and immediately send an SMS message relaying this information. That would tell the operator to go check the device.

6) A DONATION BUTTON - Please, oh please let us help you Mr. Developer(s) in the finance area to keep this site going strong! Bandwidth and server space (along with your hard work) is NOT free, and I feel even though you are happy to give the majority of this away, there are some out there that are willing to compensate you for your time.

I have only been using this for 2 days and I am just beginning to see some of the many ways this can be useful. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your hard work!

- Rob

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Re: Wish list ideas...

Post by ATSupport » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Rob, Thank you very much for the support! I am answering below:
rizzo wrote: 1) Ability for the phone to store positions in case device is outside of Nextel data area (I know this has been covered before, just wanted to add it again!)
This feature is already avaiable in our premium beta.
2) Ability to 'ping' the phone from the web - i.e. acertain if the phone is functioning and perhaps get vital signs from the unit (battery condition, GPS signal strength, etc. Also, have the ability to change the setup of the phone remotely from the website (toggle smart send, change number of minutes phone sends out position, turn the sending on/off, etc.)
This and the 5) below are good candidates for the premium version but I cannot give the ETA.
3) "Watchdog function" - unknown if this is possible using the java app, but have some code in the phone that constantly monitors the state of the java app, and make sure it's running. If for any reason, the app fails or crashes, it auto-starts again.
This is interesting... Who watches the watchdog?
4) "Auto-send to background" I know, I know...people have been asking for even more stealthy ways to run the program, I personally feel this should be a 'premium' service, and that people should pay to have that (and any other functions listed in this post) because there would be so many uses for this ability (i.e. teenagers cell phones, etc)
As what I heard, completely stealthy "auto-send to background" is not possible due to the phone firmware not allowing doing so. The firmware always pops up the "suspended applications" screen when apps wants to move to background.
5) Along the lines of #2, have the ability for the phone to send those status messages to the server (i.e. low battery, GPS signal low/not acquired, etc) then have the server turn around and immediately send an SMS message relaying this information. That would tell the operator to go check the device.
See 2) above.
6) A DONATION BUTTON - Please, oh please let us help you Mr. Developer(s) in the finance area to keep this site going strong! Bandwidth and server space (along with your hard work) is NOT free, and I feel even though you are happy to give the majority of this away, there are some out there that are willing to compensate you for your time.
Thank you! We appreciate your consideration and will consider it.
I have only been using this for 2 days and I am just beginning to see some of the many ways this can be useful. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your hard work!

- Rob
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

madrabbitt

Post by madrabbitt » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:43 am

woah. premium beta?
what i miss?
(darn not having internet access)
Dude! Wheres my car?

Oh, wait. Here it is.

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:27 am

It's a non-free version targeting commercial uses, supports MapPoint, and Blackberry (still under dev). http://premium.accutracking.com
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com