Trigger Send on Distance

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
Squintz

Trigger Send on Distance

Post by Squintz » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:46 pm

Would i be possible to trigger data sending based on the distance traveled? Basically I would enter like 500ft and and the phone would trigger every time it moved 500ft from its last position.

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:26 pm

There is no such feature in the current version. What scenario could this be useful for?
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

Skibum

Post by Skibum » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:30 pm

Hey Squintz! Welcome... :)

500 foot intervals are just too close. you can set updates to any time period you wish, with smart sending telling your phone not to send when the location has not changed.
I can't be tracked anymore... :(

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:37 am

Well, While at work for 9 hours a day I have my phone sending out data every few minutes. However it is not necessary for data to be sent out if I have not actually moved from this relative location.

Perhaps 500 feet was a bad example but maybe .6 miles would be a better example. This way while I am sitting at work all day my phone is not constantly sending out messages. And when I go to lunch or head home the phone will trace my steps.

I am not sure if this feature is really needed but it would be interesting to see how it performs.

Squintz

Post by Squintz » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:40 am

Opps, newbie mistake. I did not realize guest posting was on.

Hi Skibum! Thanks for refering me here.

Skibum

Post by Skibum » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:05 am

This is exactly what the smart send option is for.
If you have not moved, you do not continue to send data.
I can't be tracked anymore... :(

deft

Post by deft » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:09 pm

Sure this could be useful.. Smart sending only sends if it's moved at all or not at all, right? you might not want it sending every time you go short distances. like with the 8-hour etc. location history option is limited to so many points.. I could imagine times when I might not want it sending every single time I go across the street, just when I leave town, etc..

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:36 am

Deft, I don't think this feature can be clearly defined for the example you gave. That is, how to define distance - easily put it's the distance between the two reports. But if you think over, it's time-dependent - it depends on when the two reports are sent.

Assume we had such feature. Let's say you set it sending when the distance between 2 reports are greater than 0.6 mile. The phone then needs to calculate the distance between the current position and the last position. To know positions, your phone needs to constantly do GPS fix. Let's say it does GPS fix every 2 minute. Therefore, distance between two reports greater than 0.6 mile really means the phone's average speed is over 0.6mile/2minute (0.005mph), which has been covered in the smart sending and this "distance based triggering" is not adding extra value. In your example, you will get the same number of reports no matter crossing the street or out of town if you are driving the same speed.

So, I think Skibum got the right point that smart sending is exactly the feature you should look at.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com