Send map to phone

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
Skibum

Send map to phone

Post by Skibum » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:59 pm

How about having the phone have the ability to request the current map?

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:27 pm

We've been considering this feature too but decided not to implement in the near future because:

1) We take aim at the 'tracking' functionality while this feature leans more towards the 'navigation'. They may be more suitable to go to separate products, as done in other similar products in the market.

2) Pumping the map to the cell phone consumes far more bandwidth than just the tracking' data. The current data packet is only about 30 bytes each, which enables up to 34,000 sends each month with a Nextel 1M data plan. The image transfer (for a 130x130 gif) takes as much as 16K each, which greatly reduces the sendings on the same plan.

We may re-evaluate in the future however.

Thanks,
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

Skibum

Post by Skibum » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:09 am

Possibly you misunderstood me. I did not mean to send a real map all the time, just to have a button on the phone GUI to have the current map sent on a one time basis. This would be great if you only got lost on an occasional basis... :)

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:56 pm

:) I see...how about a solution in-between: returning the address to the phone, instead of map?
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

Skibum

Post by Skibum » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:43 am

Returning the address to the phone is a definate plus!

I still feel that a map is the way to go. I really did not see why until I tried the feature a few times. Aside from the WOW factor, it can be very helpful. I still keep this as being different from a navigation tool that actively SENDS data to your phone without a request.
There are many people on unliimited data that would appreciate this feature. Remember with your service you do not HAVE to have total connect. You can use packetstream gold. :o gold is good.

Skibum

Post by Skibum » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:08 pm

--nudge--

shepo43

Lost Map

Post by shepo43 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:57 pm

Maybe listing available web sites to key in your lost lat and long would solve this little spat. As long as you have the unlimited data plan this should not be a problem.....provided you are in range of the towers.

deft

address from lat/long you say?

Post by deft » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:22 pm

How does accutracking get geocoding info? is that something I could use in a script? I need to use lat/long based on addresses in this thing I'm working on.

FYI I've been customizing this software CRM-CTT http://www.crm-ctt.com for use as a courier ordering/tracking/dispatch system. I of course plan on plugging in Accutracking to map my package's locations based on the drivers they're assigned to. I'm trying to find a reliable geocoder I can use in scripts for finding out which of my zones a delivery order's to/from addresses are in.