Change phone app settings remotely and other suggestions

Share & discuss feature suggestions.
cvc1968

Change phone app settings remotely and other suggestions

Post by cvc1968 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 am

I took the plunge and bought a Boost i335 and installed Accutracking. So far, I'm pretty happy.

Request 1: My biggest suggestion would be to allow changing of phone settings such as the sending interval remotely from the web app without the need to interact with the phone. Here is my situation: This phone is for my 9 year old step son. He will carry it around at all times to use in case of emergency. Normally, we don't need a lot of tracking data on him, so we could preserve battery life most of the time by setting a high interval...say 10-30 minutes. The real reason for the tracking is that we fear his step-dad could try to steal him out of the country during one of his visitations every other weekend. So we geofence all airports and out of state roads. During those visitation weekends, I would want to decrease the tracking interval down to a minute or less. I would like to be able to do this without having to come up with some excuse to borrow the phone from the boy each Friday, since we are not informing him about the tracking.

Request 2: Please update your FAQ to add i335 to the list of phones that do NOT support battery monitoring. Battery monitoring was a feature I really wanted and I relied on the info in the FAQ during my research. Now I chose the i335 over the i290 because of the availability of the larger extended battery + enlarged back cover option for the i335 and I will keep it because of the longer overall battery life, but your info to potential consumers should be kept as up-to-date as possible.

Request 2.5: Actually, a better option would be to update the Accutracking software for the i335 et al to fix the lack of battery monitoring (of course, I don't know what challenges Motorola's firmware has presented and I'm sure you've already thought of this and would do it if you could :) )

Request 3: I went through all the steps for autorunning the app as covertly as possible and it's a good start...but since you still can't totally hide the "Accutracking" name from appearing on the "suspended apps" list, how about a covert version that displays a false and innocuous name...something like "ContactManager" or "WallpaperApp" or whatever. Then, even if the app is discovered to be running, that name wouldn't raise the suspicions that the inclusion of the word "tracking" would raise. (Again this refers in my situation mentioned above...not worried about the kid finding it, but his father is the suspicious type... if he should find anything called "Accutracking" on the phone, he's liable to toss or destroy it.)

Request 4: An iPhone app for monitoring. The mobile web page works OK, but take a look at Zoombak's iPhone app. They, too, use Microsoft Maps on their web site, but in their iPhone app, they take advantage of the iPhone's built in Maps to great effect.

hutch109

Re: Change phone app settings remotely and other suggestions

Post by hutch109 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Ref Request 2: i335 does support battery monitoring - if the correct midlet is installed. The i425 should be the only phone that does not support it, and will not support it.

There are a few different versions on the download page, so make sure the correct one is installed, then it should work.

I'll defer to AT support for their answers on the rest of the questions right now.

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Now You Can Get Several Weeks of Use Between Re-Charges!!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

Covert User Of Super-Secret-Spy Stuff - Or So I Like To Think ;-)

cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

hutch109 wrote:Ref Request 2: i335 does support battery monitoring - if the correct midlet is installed. The i425 should be the only phone that does not support it, and will not support it.
Thanks for the response, Eric.

I'm pretty sure I installed the version labeled "i425/i335" on the over-air installation page. After discovering no battery monitoring, I searched through the forums and found the quote below, from the thread entitled "Is the i425 Going Out of Stock?" (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1405) which was posted by AT Support in Feb '09.

"i335 works with the AccuTracking i425 version and has no battery level and signal level data reported on the tracking map.

i290 works with generic iDEN version, and has battery level and signal level data reported on the tracking map."

Has something changed since then? I admit I don't know the term "midlet". I am assuming you mean what I was referring to earlier – the option on the over-air installation page where you select either "i425/i335" or "Other i### model".

If you're sure using the "Other i### model" option will work AND give me battery monitoring, I'll start from scratch and give it a try. Just confirm that I am understanding you correctly first. Thanks again.

Carl

hutch109

Post by hutch109 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Carl; Now your making me double check - I will have to see if I can get an i335 back out - internally the i425, i335, and i290 are ALMOST identical - except a change with bluetooth, and some firmware... I will see if I can get one dug up and re-tested.

The term "midlet", is the application program, or software that is run on the phone - Java is the OS, and the AccuTracking software is referred to as a midlet.

If he does not need the bluetooth option, the i290 would work out also - and it does support remote battery - that I am 100% sure of...

I have not used any of the OTAR installs, as we cable our phones to our PCs and do the install locally.

Currently AccuTracking software uses the phone to send to their server, and the server does NOT communicate with the client (your phone) - so there is no way for them to implement the remote "control" of the phone, with the current setup.

If you have a MINI USB cable, and the java application loader software, you could edit the names in the midlet file - to show what you wanted. Its not a 100% fix for what you want, as there are other ways for someone to look at the application on the phone, such as "About", and other standard ways - and that would indicate pretty easily about the track software.

Eric
Complete Covert i290, i335, i415, and i425 Motion Activated Track Packages On Sale Now!

Call Toll Free At 1-888-292-6693 To Order! Or E-Mail AccuTracking@GPSBait.com For More Information

cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

hutch109 wrote:If you have a MINI USB cable, and the java application loader software, you could edit the names in the midlet file - to show what you wanted. Its not a 100% fix for what you want, as there are other ways for someone to look at the application on the phone, such as "About", and other standard ways - and that would indicate pretty easily about the track software.
Thanks again for all the clarifications, Eric.

I downloaded the software and found a .jar file and a .jad file.

I'm hoping that modifying line 13 of the .jad file would have the desired effect:

MIDlet-Name: AccuTracking
to
MIDlet-Name: CallManager (or something)

I'm really hoping I wouldn't have to edit anything in the .jar file, as that is beyond me.

Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks again,
Carl

hutch109

Post by hutch109 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Yes Carl - you are correct. There are only limited things you can do, since your working with AccuTrackings jar and jad - and they are a "compiled" version, or an end product.

But there has been some luck with the naming conventions in the past.

Eric

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 pm

We do have the renamed version for iDEN phones. Please email support for it (changing the jad and jar file would also work but we can also provide it).
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks to Accutracking support for your response. I have obtained the modified software.

Now I am just asking anyone if they have any info that can help me reduce my troubleshooting time for a lack of phone connectivity when trying to use the Java App Loader and a data cable. I gave this a quick try last night on my Mac running Parallels 5 using my Boot Camp partition which contains Windows 7 Ultimate. I could not achieve a connection from the JAL to the phone. Could be any number of reasons which I will try to work through, but it might speed up the troubleshooting if anyone already knew if Windows 7 was the problem. I intend to boot directly into my Win7 Boot Camp partition and try that first, but if Win7 is the problem, I can create a Parallels virtual machine or even a boot camp partition with WinXP and skip the further tests with Win7. Also, is there a special data cable required or should any mini USB cable work?

Anyway, if I get it to work with any method from a Mac, I'll post the method here for all for future reference.

ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:59 am

Making it work is all about installing the iDEN USB driver. I'd suggest you install on a Windows XP, as suggested by Motorola.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com

cvc1968

Post by cvc1968 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 pm

I found an easier solution in the "iDEN content uploader" at http://144.230.114.35/adp1/FUN/index.jsp for sending the files Over The Air. There was a glitch involving an "attribute mismatch" but it turned out to be a simple fix which I found here: http://boostapps.com/tutorials/how-to-load/

Now I have "BOOSTMobile" running on the phone. Wonderful. Thanks.