H2O SIM card users ACTION REQUIRED: 2G Sunset in the USA

News release and discussion.
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

H2O SIM card users ACTION REQUIRED: 2G Sunset in the USA

Post by ATSupport »

- If your have a self-managed tracker (TK103A, TK306A...) with a H2O SIM card, please read on. Action is required by December 2016.
- If you have a managed tracker (TK372, Tk373), you are not affected and please ignore this message.

AT&T 2G sunset
H2O wireless uses AT&T network. AT&T will officially shut down its 2G network on January 1, 2017 (2G sunset).
The shutdown of 2G frees up spectrum for faster, more profitable 4G LTE networks.
Here's more details.
https://www.business.att.com/content/ot ... Q_2016.pdf

T-Mobile has said they will maintain their 2G networks for longer and there's no 2G sunset plan announced yet.

With AT&T’s deadline now a little over 3 months away, we would like to remind you of the approaching sunset and explain how to switch to a new SIM card.

What impact will this have
If your tracker is a 2G device (TK103A, TK306A...) and has a H2O SIM card, the tracking will STOP updating after the 2G shutdown because the tracker is no longer able to
connect to the cell towers and the Internet. The SIM card will no longer work.

Is my tracker affected
- If your tracker is a 2G device (TK103A, TK306A...) and has a H2O SIM card, you're affected.
- If your tracker is a 2G device (TK103A, TK306A...) and has a US Mobile SIM card or T-Mobile SIM card, you're NOT affected.
- If your tracker is a 3G device (not many in the market now), you're NOT affected.
- If you have Accutracking managed device (TK372, TK373), you're NOT affected.

What to do
You can purchase a US Mobile SIM card (which uses T-Mobile network):
https://www.usmobile.com/shop/product/sim

US Mobile pay-as-you-go plan costs $6/month ($2 text + $2 data + $2 service charge).

After getting the US Mobile SIM card, activate it at https://www.usmobile.com/activate for a NEW phone number with text and data plan and
insert it into the tracker. The tracker then needs to be reconfigured for the new SIM (power on the tracker, then use a cell phone to text "apn123456 pwg"
to the phone number tied to the new SIM. Or we can help configure it).

If your H2O SIM card is on "auto pay" or a H2O "monthly plan", do not forget to call H2O 1-800-643-4926 and cancel the auto payment.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For any questions, please contact our support.
AccuTracking Support
support(at)accutracking.com
manny

Re: H2O SIM card users ACTION REQUIRED: 2G Sunset in the USA

Post by manny »

HI SO I HAVE A TK104B AND I HAVE H20 WIRELESS 3G AND FOR SOME REASON I CANT GET THE DEVICE TO WORK I HAVE TRIED EVERY THING OUT THERE AND CANT GET IT TO WORK i bought a new H2o sim card and still nothing... all i get is the green light stays lit up and the blue light flashes slowly on the tk104b device... can someone help me please I can't figure this out and its annoying ps.. when i put the sim card on my iPhone it says its using 3G network from H20 wireless so i don't know what else to doe...
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

H2O SIM won't work with your TK104B which is a 2G device. You'll need a US Mobile SIM card.
manny wrote:HI SO I HAVE A TK104B AND I HAVE H20 WIRELESS 3G AND FOR SOME REASON I CANT GET THE DEVICE TO WORK I HAVE TRIED EVERY THING OUT THERE AND CANT GET IT TO WORK i bought a new H2o sim card and still nothing... all i get is the green light stays lit up and the blue light flashes slowly on the tk104b device... can someone help me please I can't figure this out and its annoying ps.. when i put the sim card on my iPhone it says its using 3G network from H20 wireless so i don't know what else to doe...
AccuTracking Support

Post by Guest »

For US Mobile is the text part required or can you just do with $2 data + $2 service = $4 after the first month when you have things working?
ATSupport
AccuTracking Staff

Post by ATSupport »

You can remove text plan after the first month. Text is only needed when troubleshooting the tracking issues or configuring the tracker.
Guest wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 am For US Mobile is the text part required or can you just do with $2 data + $2 service = $4 after the first month when you have things working?
AccuTracking Support